Welcome to Michigan Works! West Central!
OUR MISSION: To continually improve a workforce development system that produces a workforce with the required skills to attract, retain and expand business and enhance our regional economy.
Michigan Works! West Central is part of the statewide Michigan Works! system serving employers and job seekers in Lake, Mason, Mecosta, Newaygo, Oceana, and Osceola Counties. We are the first unified workforce development system in the country and an instrumental partner for developing Michigan’s economic future.
We are one of 16 Michigan Works! agencies across the state, each of which is locally responsive and demand driven. We exist to assist employers in finding and retaining qualified employees and assure that the local talent pool meets the needs of employers.
Some of the free services we provide to employers includes:
- Post positions on Pure Michigan Talent Connect and search through resumes for qualified applicants
- Collect resumes on employer’s behalf
- Provide use of computer labs for testing of job applicants
- Provide use of interview rooms for interviewing job applicants
- Provide use of conference room for employee training sessions
- Schedule interviews held at our service centers
- Schedule testing for applicants held at our service centers
- Conduct job fairs (single or multiple employer)
- Assess skill levels of current/future employees using WorkKeys/CareerReady 101
- Share knowledge of numerous local, state, and federal resources that may be able to assist the company with its current/future needs
- Serve as a catalyst in unique prospect situations if the county does not have an economic developer
- Provide Rapid Response activities to companies experiencing layoffs or closure
- Provide unemployment-related information
- Provide labor market information
For more information on the services provided to businesses contact Merri Bennett, Business Services Director, at 231.583.2029 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of the services we provide to job seekers includes:
For adults: assessments, career counseling, job search assistance, supportive services, and occupational skills training.
For youth: includes many of the same services that are for adults, as well as career preparation, school to career transition, pre-employment and work maturity skills and support services, work experience, and remedial education.
Free access to computers to search Pure Michigan Talent Connect for openings, post resumes online, seek out career information, and conduct research on specific industries.
Training programs and readjustment services for dislocated workers including rapid response, skills training, and basic readjustment services.
WorkKeys testing in Applied Mathematics, Locating Information and Reading for Information to earn the National Career Readiness Certificate – a portable credential verifying workplace employability skills. Learn more
Employment assistance for Veterans